WHAT IS THE BRC FOOD SAFETY STANDARD?
BRC stands for “British Retail Consortium”. This standard is published by the British Supermarket Chains Association and requires documented approval to ensure food quality and safety.
Having BRC Global Food Safety Standard certification shows your level of proficiency in HACCP, hygiene, food safety and quality systems.
BRC Food Safety Certificate Standard is a standard applicable to any food manufacturer and facility. These producers or facilities may be the primary processing facilities of foods, as well as packaging, slaughterhouses, canning facilities and food production catering companies.
BRC Food Safety Standard;
BRC Food Safety Standard is divided into 7 sections.
1. Top Management Commitment and Continuous Improvement; For any food safety system to be effective, senior managers must be committed to the implementation and continuous improvement.
2. Food Safety Plan (HACCP); The most effective system based on food safety is a standard that complies with HACCP-based international requirements.
3. Food Safety and Quality Management System; Another application basis of food safety is applied based on ISO 9000. In particular, it includes supply management, traceability and quality requirements.
4. Production Place; It covers topics such as production site conditions and waste management, pest control.
5. Product Control; Includes product design allergen management, product packaging safety audit and testing.
6. Process Control; Safe process controls include weight, volume control and equipment calibration setup and maintenance.
7. Personnel; It sets standards for personnel training, protective clothing and personal hygiene.
Why is the BRC Standard and Certificate Required?
- BRC Food Safety Standard is a world brand certification type recognized in more than 100 countries and certified by nearly 20,000 suppliers. In addition, it is the management system created through the GFSI certification standard, which is the first Food Safety certificate.
- It is the best standard that can be applied to ensure the customer and supplier trust of companies that aim to open up to the global market. Food safety develops and improves with it. If complaints and rejected products are to be minimized, the BRC food safety certificate and certificate are important for companies.
- Generally speaking, the standard is a standard developed by experts working in the food industry and it is a very easy to understand standard. With BRC, risks are determined and the certification process begins. It has a simple certification process and no hidden costs. The entire certification process is subject to local fees. When the BRC Food Safety Certificate is applied well, it has a cost-reducing effect.
- Worldwide audit is carried out by a global network and experienced auditors. The audit system is also carried out with a standardized and controlled standard.
- Unlike other food safety standards, it is an applicable Standard at no extra cost.
Who Should Get the BRC Food Safety Standard?
- BRC Food Standard has categorized food processing and has been reviewed and published under 6 titles. When applying for certification, companies should examine these categories and apply them over the category appropriate for them.
1-Unprocessed meat and fish products (Red and white meat-fish, unprocessed meat and fish products)
2-Production (Fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables)
3-Day Foods (milk and dairy products, eggs)
4-Meat and fish products cooked and frozen, ready to eat or cook
5-Environmentally resistant, heat protected, packaged food products
6-Other environmentally resistant food products (beverages, bakery products, dried foods, light food products and breakfast cereals, oil and fats, food additives)
It is for the organizations in all chain links in this category and the organizations that supply these organizations.
BRC FOOD SAFETY PRE-REQUIREMENTS
Establishing a Food Safety Team: An effective food safety system depends on the experienced personnel to be established for food safety outside of the technical team. Production activities must be managed by a team to be formed including engineering, R&D, distribution, procurement and even human resources. The number of team members may vary depending on the size and structure of the company.
The qualifications that should be in the Food Safety Team can be listed as follows;
" Understanding standard requirements
" Standard application skills
" It should be chosen from people who have the skills of continuous improvement and development.
" Taking the Commitment of Senior Management: For the successful implementation of the BRC standard, top management must be a part of the food safety organization. Senior management supports the food safety team.
BRC Standard History
BRC is a private organization working in the field of Food Safety. Members of this organization are food establishments, from the smallest food business to large-scale companies. BRC standards have included almost every link in the food safety chain in recent years. It has become an organization that directs the standards in the field of Food Safety.
In 1998, when it was founded, food safety started with a broad standard including packaging.
As of 1999, by completing the accreditation procedures in accordance with ISO Standards and En norms, auditing institutions began to be authorized. Many versions have been published since the 2000s and their revisions continue to be adapted to current conditions.
BRC IOP Packaging Management Standard- IOP
Packaging Security, one of the parts of Food Safety, is not included in most food safety Standards. The relevant BRC Packaging Safety (IOP) Standard has been published for packaging that are among the parts of food safety. It is an important standard for packaging materials to meet quality and comply with legal requirements.
The products described as Standard Packaging are as follows;
BRC IOP Packaging Management Standard consists of 6 items;
" · Management commitment;
" · Hazard and risk management
" · Technical management systems (ISO 9001 based documentation)
" · Production site conditions
" · Product and process analysis
" · Personnel requirements
BRC Logo Usage
Organizations that meet the requirements of any of the BRC Standards and pass the audit program successfully, use the BRC logo;
" · On letterheads
" · In his business cards
" · In advertising brochures
" · In web sites
" · On all advertising platforms including company vehicles.
Source: BRC Global Standard